Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

When i woke up this morning my macbook air had a folder file…

Customer Question
When i woke up...

When i woke up this morning my macbook air had a folder file in the middle of the screen flashing with a question mark inside it

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Macbook air?

It was OS X MAVERICK upgraded just lastnight to OS X HIGH SIERRA

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Macbook air? What troubleshooting have you tried?

2015...ive tried to do a normal boot up, tried command r, etc....nothing happened at all until i hit power then control option p r keys....then i started to get start up sound...screen lights up but cant get anything on screen

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
11/14/2017
Mac Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. The flashing question mark in the folder on your Mac's screen at startup, it means your Mac can't find its system software. Something likely went awry during the upgrade process. Please give me a few minutes to type up detailed instructions to help you recover your system.

Let's begin by powering off your Macbook Air. Press and hold the power button until your MAC powers off completely. Try to restart with only the Command and R keys (not the p key this time). Press and hold the two keys until you see the Apple logo or globe. Follow the instructions on the screen. You may be prompted to select a Wi-Fi network during startup. When you see the MacOS Utilities window, choose Startup Disk from the Apple menu. after choosing your startup disk, please click Restart. Please give this a try and let me know the results.

I TRIED. THAT...IT COMES ON, THE SCREEN LIGHTS UP BUT NOTHING COMES ON THE SCREEN.

Thank you for that additional information. You mentioned Command P and R, but I didn't know for sure that you had tried just Command R. If you are unable to boot into Internet Recovery Mode with the Command and R keys, we'll need to restore from a time machine backup if you have that. if you don't have a time machine backup, do you happen to have any recovery media that originally came with your MAC?

I apologize. I meant to say "I didn't know for sure".

No i dont have the recovery media

That's ok. Fortunately, even if your Mac’s recovery partition has been damaged somehow, you should be able to use Internet Recovery Mode to reinstall the OS X version that was installed on your Mac at the time of purchase.

Please powering off your Macbook again. Please be sure that it powers off completely.

Try gain to restart by pressing the power button. Immediately press the Command and R keys. Don't let go of them until you see either the the Apple logo or a spinning globe.

Please note that it can be very tricky to get the timing just right. It may take multiple tries to get into either Standard Recovery Mode or Internet Recovery mode.