Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I lost my phone and when I go to Find my Phone it says it is…

Customer Question
I lost my phone...

I lost my phone and when I go to Find my Phone it says it is offline. Can you find its last known location?

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

I have the iPhone 7

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

It was plugged in this morning

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Find my iPhone

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 9 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

You will not be able to see the location of the iPhone until it is connected to wifi. So, if it was stolen, if the person connects to wifi it will notify you of the location. Otherwise, if it is just lost, you will not find its location using Find My iPhone unless it connects to internet itself, which is unlikely if it hasn't already.

Thank you for that response. Can I find it's last location?
Can I find it’s last location?

No, you cannot see the location before Find My iPhone was turned on unfortunately.

find my iphone has been enabled on the phone for over a year.

Right, but when you go to it after it is lost it activates and puts it in "lost" mode. Only after it connects to wifi in that mode can you see the location.

If I don’t know where the phone is willthat help
I cannot see where the location was this morning before I lost it?

No, you can only wait for it to be connected to wifi now, there isn't anything else you can do.

what do people do when they lose their phone?
I guess I’m done

Find My iPhone is best used when it is stolen so if the thief connects it to wifi you can find them. Also, if it is already on data and it is just lost and not dead then you could see the location.

Thank you, ***** ***** the bad news. If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!