Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We bought some used MAC pc's (from a company that was

Customer Question
We bought some used...

We bought some used MAC pc's (from a company that was upgrading.) and they all have deep freeze. their management changed (or they lost them)and we cannot get the passwords for these machines. we're trying to figure out how to get rid of deep freeze to resell.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

Imac i5's mostly

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

Sorry its taking so long, my IT person is looking it up.....

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Osx 10.10.5

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The purchase wasn't to long ago and as far I know my IT person has tried anything and everything to get rid of this deep freeze.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
11/13/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Could you explain a bit more about the freeze? Is it freezing at startup?

Do you want to wipe these iMacs and set them up as new?

Deep Freeze is a kernel-level driver that protects hard drive integrity by redirecting information being written to the hard drive or partition, leaving the original data intact. This redirected information is no longer referenced once the computer is restarted, thus restoring the system to its original state at the disk sector level. This allows users to make 'virtual' changes to the system, giving them the appearance that they can modify core files or even delete them, and even make the system unusable to themselves, but upon reboot the originally configured 'frozen' state of the operating system is restored. We DO want to wipe these iMacs & set them up as new.

Ok so this is proprietary software that the previous owners installed.

Have you tried Mac OS X recovery?

Or Migration Assistant?

http://www.faronics.com/assets/DFM_Manual.pdf

Complete the following steps to uninstall Deep Freeze manually on the computer where it is installed: 1. Log in to Deep Freeze. 2. Restart the computer to a Thawed state (if it is Frozen). 3. Go to the Uninstall tab. 4. Select Retain Existing ThawSpace(s) As-is to retain the ThawSpaces. Select Delete Existing ThawSpace(s) to delete all the ThawSpaces on the selected computer. 5. Click Uninstall. Deep Freeze is uninstalled and the computer restarts.

Do not have a Deepfreeze computer setup now- but will by tomorrow a.m. (was not anticipating chat dialogue). Late in the day. Will contact tomorrow when all is setup. If anything like OSx recovery or Migration Assistant requires previous UserName/PW, this is unattainable. We've had 1 computer totally redone & restored from DeepFreeze by a local computer store & this was over an hour & a half endeavor. We're looking for something that won't totally eat up the price of the computer.

No they shouldn't require that. Contact me tomorrow for more help.

I should be able to guide you through the steps with one computer, and you can use the same steps on all of them.

There might be something crop up, but we can troubleshoot whatever scenario it is at that time.

Hi, do you still need help?

If my answers helped and saved you time and money please use the star rating system to rate my answer. This is how I am recognised on the site as having helped.

Many thanks in advance!