Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My Mac Book was stolen in a burgulary of my home. What do I…

Customer Question
My Mac Book was...

My Mac Book was stolen in a burgulary of my home. What do I need to do to protect the information in my computer

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?

Three months

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not sure

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None that I can remember

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I am concerned with the persoanl information that is on the computer. I assume I need to contact my banks, credit cards etc but what does apple recommend,? Do we turn off the computer so it worthless? Do we leave it open and track usage?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
are you still working on a response?
are youstill in the chat
11/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Was the MacBook connected to your iCloud account?

Okay, in that case you should go to https://www.icloud.com/ and log in to the account that was connected to the MacBook. Once you have done that, click on Find... It may just say Find iPhone or it may say Find MacBook. Either way, click on that.

It should give you some options. You will be able to lock down the Mac if it is connected to WiFi, and also receive a notification of its location. Please note that this will only happen if the thief connects the laptop to the internet. Otherwise, he will be able to open it and do as he likes if there is no password ***** it.

Were you able to find it there?

If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!