Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

ON my iMac, Safari suddenly will not start up. Last night I…

Customer Question
ON my iMac, Safari...

ON my iMac, Safari suddenly will not start up. Last night I tried to install the latest Mac OS and the progress bar would not complete moving to the right so finally I stopped and rebooted. That is probably connected. Now Safari will not run. Will not open.

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

I have an iPhone here phone number(###) ###-####if we need to communicate during restarts.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, yesterday I installed Pages and Numbers. I think that i installed Keypoint and iMovie today.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Last night, I thought that I was upgrading to latest Mac OS but it would not complete the installation.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else pertaining.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
11/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 5 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of macOS are you using now ? You can find it from Apple > About This Mac

10.12.6
You can talk me through the repair process. Safari broke suddenly. I have tried to replace it from a backup and was not allowed to. Probably a preference?

No problem. Give me a few minutes. Writing the instructions

First, try downloading and installing High Sierra (macOS version 10.13) again

Download it via this link (which opens in App Store) --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

or go to Apple > App Store > Featured. Search High Sierra and install it from there.

If that didn't work and since the previous OS install process was interrupted, I'd recommend to reinstall the macOS. It is possible that other components are probably affected. So a reinstall will ensure all system files are OK and your Mac works ok (no need to do this step if you are able to install High Sierra)

You can reinstall your macOS by booting into macOS Utilities screen. This will not deleting anything, so it is safe to reinstall.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall mac OS. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS.

If that didn't work,then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I am printing your instructions so that I don't have to remember them.
I'll stop this chat so that i can follow the instructions.

Let me know if you face any issues following the steps

Ashik, Mac Technician