Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Why am I not able to see WD external drive when connected to…

Customer Question
Why am I not able...
Why am I not able to see WD external drive when connected to any device?I have stored many audio/video and other important files over the years into my WD external drive. The last I was able to successfully connect to my Mac (to backup) was about 6 to 8 months ago. When I connect now, the LED light comes up and I can feel/hear the disk spinning for the first few minutes. But I am unable to access the drive on the mac or pc or TV.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
1. I don't see any new folder/device in file explorer
2. Unable to find the device under USB 3.0 in System Information (Screenshot Attached)
3. Also navigated to folder /Volumes and don't see any device for my external drive
11/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Thank you for all the information and thank you for the screenshot.

Since you have tried all good things so far, I just wanted to make sure that you are connecting this external HD directly to the mac and not using a usb device hub.

Also, I would like to see if you can try and open disk utility and see if the external HD can be recognized in that.

Let me know.

I am connecting directly.Yes I checked in disk utility and don't see the external HD.

And did you say you already tried to connect it to a windows computer and it does not recognize it either?

Unfortunately Windows is also not recognizing the drive.

Then it is definitely not a format issue. The only thing left is trying a different cord from the external HD to the computer. That is because trying different computers has been tried which also means different usb ports have been tried. Different OS computers have been tried, and the disk powers on still and spins so the only thing left would the hope that the cord is bad. Yes it gives it power but no it does not show data.

If that is not it then the drive may have failed in a way that is not readable and not a power issue. Which in that case if you have important data on the drive you would need to take it to a data recovery specialist so they can take it apart in a specific way to see if it can be recoverable but it can be pricey.

Oops. I'll try with a different cord and see if that works.

No worries, like I said you have done all you can and they were all good things. Let me know if it works.

BTW I was hoping that you or someone at just answers will be able to guide me to recover the data which generally data recovery specialist do. Is there some special equipment or software they use which I could procure for a less price?

I can opt out so that it may give another expert the option to possibly help you with data extraction steps but in the state that the drive is in I am assuming it would need to be taken apart by a specialist.

Mac Support Specialist: syseng, Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Were you able to test the drive with a different cable?

If yes and the drive was still not recognized, pick up and tilt the drive to the left and the right while still plugged into the computer and let me know if drive resists tilting or tipping it sideways (which would indicate that the drive is continuously spinning).

Please wait till I get back as I haven’t located alternate cable. I might have to buy one tomorrow if I can’t find one.

Ok thanks. I will check back tomorrow after you have posted the result.

Do you still need assistance?

Please hold on. I am struggling with my hvac. I’ll get back to this and this is important for me

Ok thanks for letting me know - I will check back later.