Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

We were given an old PowerBook G4, but we cannot get in

Customer Question
We were given an...

We were given an old PowerBook G4, but we cannot get in because we do not have the password. We have no way of getting in touch with the past owner who probably doesn't even remember it. We want to send this to a ministry in Kenya that we have worked with for over 23 years. How can we bypass this block and get in? Thanks

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reset your username and password?

This is a used laptop. We never reset the username and password. We need to do that.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No, we were just given this old Mac OSX

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

We talked to an Apple Person on the phone who suggested we restart, press the Command button plus R until we saw the apple. We did that but it just went to the name and blank for the password. No tool bar but only back, forget password ***** log in buttons. The hint for the old password ***** admin

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Cannot think of anything.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/11/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

If this mac is an old powerBook G4 it will not have the feature to do Command and R which means you could not have even gotten top the recovery mode that the Apple person was trying to guide you too. Also, the other problem is that the current OS version that is running on this PowerBook is probably like 10.4 if that but nothing higher then 10.5. Do you happen to know what version? I know you can not sign in to go to apple and about this mac but I was just curious. The reason why this is a problem is because the newer macs give you options to bypass this password ***** in issue but the older macs do not. The older macs like this one were very disk specific, meaning the only way to wipe the computer clean and reinstall the OS was from the original CD or DVD that came with the mac. I am assuming you do not have these discs so here is your only option

Using single user mode to try and bypass the password

Single user mode option #1

1. restart computer and hold the Command key (or the apple key for older keyboards) and the "s" key.

2. wait for terminal show - this will look like a bunch of white text

3. you can release the keys you did in step 2 once you see the white text appear.

4. when the white text stops loading, type /sbin/mount -uaw

5. press enter

6. type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

7. press enter

8. type reboot

9. press enter

This will let you create a new admin account when you reboot your computer.

If that does not work you can try option #2

2. when the white text stops loading, enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help. If not, let me know what happend so we can continue.

Thanks.

Both options did not work. When I tried the second it gave an illegal warning and did not reboot. I will go through them again!
We did it again and it worked on the second option. Thanks so much!

Oh good I am so glad to hear that! I was hoping for you. Thanks for the update and please consider to rate my service with the stars next to my name. It helps to let others know I am hear to help.

Thank you for your time. :)

If you happened to be satisfied with your help previously, please consider to rate my services as it helps to let others know I am here to help and wil close out this ticket. If you still need help, no problem, please let me know what is happening.

Thanks. Take care.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast