Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

It's asking for my passcode to get started, I have no idea…

Customer Question
It's asking for my...

It's asking for my passcode to get started, I have no idea what it is? had this I Pad for a few years.

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

On the I Pad i have no idea, i'm on a lap top right now

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I haven't been able to get in, been trying to find the pass code

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Nothing, i can't get in to the I Pad to figure it out

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/11/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There is NO way to retrieve that passcode or get back to your iPad without the passcode (without erasing it). Your only option is erase the iPad from iCloud or force-restore the iPad to factory settings using your computer

Your computer, is it an Apple Mac or Windows PC ?

the lap top i'm on now?

Yes, we will have to fix the iPad using your laptop

Windows
is there any way to back it up before wiping it out?

I'm sorry, No. Since you are locked out, your only option is erase the iPad from iCloud or force-restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode/disabled screen and get it restored)

But if you had backed up your iPad to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud. You can also re download all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 8 seconds.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.