Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a imac mid 2010, had sierra installed on it. My son…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a imac mid 2010, had sierra installed on it. My son played on it :( When i started it up again , it showed me a screen with a blinking folder with a question mark in it!!! I do not have a os dvd....what are my solutions?

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried? Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I tried command + r at startup and nothing...i bought nov 2010 about...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
11/11/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 9 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Do you know the version of MacOS you were running. Maybe like 10.9 Mavericks or MacOS 10.12 Sierra?

Sorry nevermind scratch that sorry

This error you see with the folder and question mark means the computer cant find the system folder or the hard drive has failed. Usually it is just the folder that is missing and you get that back by reinstalling the os but this may be a little more difficult then you would like since you already tried command +r try the following instead:

command + option + r

Let me know if this works, you will need to make sure you are connected to the wifi or internet

Command + option + r tries to get the recover image from the apple servers online instead of your local hard. It can take a long time though doing it this way as its a huge file. However, the only other option is if you know someone like a friend, family member, coworker, etc and you can borrow their mac temporarily to create a bootable usb flash drive with the MACOS on it.

Therefore you would then plug it into yours when done creating it and then boot your computer from it and install the MACOS that way. If it comes down to that you would just need a flash drive or external HD that is at least 12 GB. Then depending on what version of mac the person you are borrowing from has (you can check apple/about this mac) will depend on which commands you copy and paste from this article reference. It looks intimidating but it really is not just go step by step and take your time but this is last resort if the command +option + r does not work. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you get to command + option + r choose to reinstall the os from the main OSX utilities menu. Please let me know what happens.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

Did you still need help? Please let me know at your earliest convenience .