Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an OS10.4 and I want to import a DVD for editing in…

Customer Question
I have an OS10.4...

I have an OS10.4 and I want to import a DVD for editing in iMovie to create another movie from clips in original DVD movie.

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

IOS10.4

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I believe it auto updates, but not sure it won't auto play the DVD

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I have tried to tell the computer to play DVD inserted on iMovie and it just sits there and does nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

We are creating an iMovie 10 video of various movies and still pictures for my brother's funeral.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/10/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Actually, it is not a straight forward process to import the DVD video to iMovie. You need to rip and convert the DVD video to an editable format in iMovie.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

we are on 10.4 Tiger. We have about 20 video DVDs that each contain 15-60 mins each on them. We only want short clips from each DVD video to create a new 10 min video.

So, what version of iMovie are you using ?

iMovie is the version released for later OS X s

10.1.1

Please check the version of Mac OS X again from Apple > About This Mac. What version is it ?

10.10.5 (14F2511) and it's Yosemite

Yes, OS X Tiger was like 10 years old.

Let's do this step by step. First, you will have to use third party programs to convert the DVD to a format that iMovie accepts, i.e .MP4 or .MOV

To do that, you can use this program --> https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Download and open Handbrake. Set the Source to DVD or the video files in DVD (i.e the vob files). Set MP4 as Output file and convert. Once you convert it, you can import it to iMovie from File > Import.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

We have Popcorn and it isn't Tiger it is Yosemite. Will Popcorn work the same as handbrake? We also have PMHOME_2100DL.dmg as an update/upgrade.....does this help?

I have not used Popcorn, but I used Handbrake and it works well. It also doesn't cost anything. Try Handbrake

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?