Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I tried changing my code for locking my screen but must have…

Customer Question
I tried changing my...

I tried changing my code for locking my screen but must have put a wrong password ***** now my phone is disabled. Is there a way to unlock it without loosing all my data?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reset your username and password?

Last night before going to bed. I didn't have to change my apple password, just the password ***** locks my screen. everytime i do anything i have to unlock the screen so I wanted to change the code. Now since i'm locked I might just want to do the fingerprint unlock

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I don't think so. Is been a while since I did.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Nothing because my phone is disabled. I can receive calls and thats all. I can't do anything except answer a incoming all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
11/10/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 8 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Good evening! I can certainly appreciate how frustrating this is. If your iPhone is disabled and the current passcode is unknown to you, your device will need to be restored in order to become usable again. If you've been diligent about backing up your iPhone via iTunes -- or have the device backing up to iCloud automatically -- you aren't at risk of losing data. In either case, you can restore your iPhone back to factory condition (see instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306), and then restore your last backup (you will be prompted to restore from an iCloud backup during setup, or can connect your iPhone to your computer and restore from backup via iTunes at any time after you've reset your phone).

If you do not have a backup available, the process to recover your data will be a little more involved, but not impossible. It starts by creating a backup of your iPhone in its current state:

Step 1: Open iTunes and connect your iPhone to the computer through USB cable.
Step 2: When your iPhone appears on iTunes, select it. Here you should click on the "Back Up Now" button to continue. When the backup process is finished, the iTunes backup file will be saved on the computer.

Next, you'll need to purchase, download, and use a third-party data recovery tool like MiniTool Mobile Recovery for iOS (free to try, $59 to purchase) and recover your data from the backup you just made via the software's "Recover from iTunes Backup File" feature:

Step 1: Choose "Recover from iTunes Backup File" from the main interface, and the iTunes backup files will be displayed in front of you. If there is more than one iTunes backup file listed on the interface, you can identify them from the "Name" and "Latest Backup Date". Choose the target one and click on "Scan" to continue.

Step 2: The scanning process will last for some minutes. Then you will see the results interface with all data types shown on the leftsection. You can choose one type and have a look at the items including deleted and existing ones on this interface. For example, if you just want to recover photos on locked/dabbled iPhone, you should click on "Photos" from the left list, preview them, choose the photos you want to restore and click on "Recover" to select a path on the computer to save them. In Free Edition, you are allowed to recover two pieces of photos each time.

This package and others like it will allow you to recover photos, messages, contacts, call history, notes, calendars, reminders, and etc.

Hope that helps! If you have any additional questions, please let me know.