Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Im on my moms computer trying to help her. Her excel program…

Im on my moms...

Im on my moms computer trying to help her. Her excel program is not working and will not open at all. I have the original Office.mac dvd but dont know how to reinstall excel without losing whatever data she might have.

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

Some but not a lot.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Restarting the computer, trying to send the error message that comes up to no avail.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/25/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What about other office apps like Word and Power Point ?

What version of Office is this ?

Also, what version of Mac OS X does the Mac have ?

Word and PowerPoint are fine. It’s office 2011 and macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Thanks for the info. Close all office apps. Then hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the file 'com.microsoft.Excel.plist'.

Then trash the Microsoft folder if you see it there.

Go back to Library, then open Application Support folder and trash Microsoft folder

Try Excel. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I don’t have com. Microsoft.excel just com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist

Ignore that file then. If you don't see Microsoft folder in the particular location, you can ignore that step and then do the remaining steps

Nope didn’t work same error message

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Applications. In Applications folder, open Microsoft folder and do you see Excel there ?

It is possible that the Excel app itself is corrupted. Download and install this update --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54916&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

Does it allow you to open Excel now ?

Sorry, download and install this version instead --> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55616

Still working on it. Its installing

Ok, let me know how it goes

It’s still running and has been stuck on “about a minute” for a few minutes. Should I just be patient?

Yes, sometimes it may take up to 30 minutes to install

Hallelujah!! It’s open and her docs are in it. Thank you very much. Do I need to do anything else?

You're most welcome ! No need to do anything. It will work without any issues now.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Technician