Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am using an iMac with OS 10.9.5 and iPhoto v 8.1.2 from

Customer Question
iPhoto 9. When I try...
I am using an iMac with OS 10.9.5 and iPhoto v 8.1.2 from iPhoto 9. When I try to back up my iphone or transfer photos, it locks up. I can see frames on the monitor, but I can wait for days, and they never get transferred. What to do?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I have had it for a number of years and have used Macs since 1984.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I tried updating the system, but it is up to date. I was afraid to try updating iPhoto for fear of making things worse. Which version should I uptdate to?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: No troubleshooting. I didn't know what to do.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
10/22/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 month ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of iOS are you using on your iPhone ? Check it from Settings > General > About > Version

How old is this iMac ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IOS V 11.0.3 The iMac is 7 years old.

Have you tried downloading using Image Capture ? Image Capture will let you download photos from iPhone to your Mac. You can open Image Capture from Applications folder. If you are able to download with Image Capture a folder on your Mac, then you can import to iPhoto from that folder.

(Note : If you are using iCloud Photo Library, then your Mac will not be able to properly see or download photos. The same happens if you use cloud based services like Dropbox)

The issue you are having is a compatibility issue. Mac OS X 10.9 is about 4 years old is almost obsolete. Not only that, Apple has replaced iPhoto with a new app named Photos from Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite onwards, to be compatible with iCloud and the new Photos app on your iPhone.

I'd recommend to upgrade the OS X to latest macOS version. The latest is macOS 10.13 High Sierra. If this is Late 2009 iMac model, then your Mac will support it. You can download High Sierra from App Store under Featured tab or you can get it from this link --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201475

If your Mac doesn't support High Sierra, then try 10.11 El Capitan --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT206886

Upgrading to El Capitan or later will definitely fix the issue. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading those version of OS

Note : Some old apps like Office 2011, old printers etc are not compatible with High Sierra. So if you are running or having any of those, please let me know before upgrading and I will check the compatibility with latest OS

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was called away from my computer, so this will have to wait until I return. I will be in touch then. Thank you.

No problem. Let me know if you have any difficulty on working on the instructions I sent you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m sorry. I’ve been sick. I will contact you soon.
No problem. Take your time.
Ashik, Mac Technician