Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I bought a new charger for my MacBook pro 2017. It was

Hi I bought a new...
Hi I bought a new charger for my MacBook pro 2017.
It was expensive so I'll probably get 3rd party one online. The Apple version says 87W. Some of the others say 85W or 90W. How important is it that it's exact? I don't know the implications.
Would the 'wrong' wattage damage the laptop? Would it charge it slower/faster? No difference? Thanks!
10/21/2017
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Great question - those chargers are a bit ridiculously expensive. The small difference in wattage doesn't actually matter. With the way that voltage works physically, it will only draw the amount of wattage that it can maximally handle, so your mac will take whatever it can get. You can actually charge that laptop with one of the smaller chargers (60 watt etc.), but it will take an eternity.

The more crucial thing, however, with the aftermarket chargers is that these can truly fry your mac's logic board if they go haywire, so genuinely worth considering whether this is too risky an area to go after-market. Will leave it up to you, but at least you'll know the wattage doesn't matter, especially when the difference from stock is only ~1-3 watts

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you're satisfied with this answer, please take a moment to confirm this answer and rate my service. Thank you for your business!

Thanks Jeremy...i'm not holding you to anything but what's the likelihood this aftermarket chargers would damage the logic board..what would it go haywire? It's just ushering in electricity after all...

It's impossible to predict, but the components that can be had more cheaply relate specifically to the gauge of wire and protections from overloading, so very directly related to safety. I can only say that I've had one short out on me and it was a rather dramatic bang and brief fire about three months after purchase. The laptop was fine, but that was a bit of a miracle. It was enough to prevent me from getting another. :) The thing to watch out for with the aftermarket devices is any signs of overheating (discolouration etc.)

Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast
ok thanks!
Jeremy K
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Mac Enthusiast