Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an older Firewire 800 LaCie 1T external drive that…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Firewire 800 LaCie 1T external drive that was used for Time Machine on my 2008 iMac 24". It is hooked up to a new, powered Thunderbolt 2 hub which also has one firewire 800 port. Now I have a late 2014 27" iMac to which I need to transfer some apps from my old 1T drive. The newer mac does not have any firewire ports, so the 1T Lacie that had been used for Time Machine on the 2008 mac cannot be hooked directly to the 2014 mac. I do not have a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 adapter yet. (I ordered one which should arrive tomorrow.)

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

The firewire 800 connection through the hub allows me to see the Time Machine backup folders on my newer 2014 mac. Is it okay to just copy and paste the applications I want to transfer to the newer mac? I have already done several smaller apps by simply dragging them to the Finder folder on the 2014 mac. Will this work for large apps like Photoshop Elements or Topaz apps? Thanks for your help.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

On the newer mac? No, it has El Capitan OSX 10.11.6.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

What do you mean? I haven't had any troubleshooting to do except that my 2014 mac keeps showing unplanned shutdowns taking place during the long time periods when I'm not working on it. A CrashPlan tech is working with me to migrate data from the external drive backups that were done before Crash Plan stopped working on my 2008 mac. But he says I need to install the Time Machine backup before we do anymore work, because CrashPlan does not back up applications, only the data.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

My experience with the 2008 imac is average. I am its original owner, but I am not a techie. I'm a 67 yr. old grandma who is a photographer/artist. I set up these machines on my own with a little advice from my son-in-law. He had Crash Plan programmed wrong, so no hard drive backups were backed up to the cloud, only external drives. There are several of those. The CrashPlan tech support is helping me migrate data from the old CrashPlan app to their newer one, and restore the data, but not the apps.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
10/21/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 4 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter you ordered will work without any issues. User files, you can simply copy and paste from the backup drive. This copy and paste will also work for small apps like Firefox or other apps that doesn't require installation procedure.

However, apps like Photoshop, Office etc, they require you to install from the setup file because many other dependent files are stored in other locations like Library, Fonts, System etc especially licencing files.

However, you can try Migration Assistant using Time Machine. Migration Assistant will officially allow you everything from old Mac to the new Mac. Do you have any new content on the new Mac that are not on the Time Machine backup ?

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Mac Technician