Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Macbook Pro, i believe it's a 2011 model and it's

I have a Macbook Pro...
I have a Macbook Pro, i believe it's a 2011 model and it's on the software version of 10.6.8. I haven't used it in over 3 years until just recently. When I try to go to netflix, or even to download photoshop, it says they no longer support the version I'm using. So I've tried to check for an update, it downloads and tells me to click restart to finish so I do but when it shuts down it gets stuck on the blank purple space background. My dock doesn't show up on there but the cursor does, it let's me move the cursor around but it when I try to hit a button on the keyboard it makes a weird sound. The fans aren't running like they normally do when it updates either. I've waited like 20 minutes to see if it will start back up and it just stays there until i have to press the power button to force shut off. And it doesn't complete the software update. I've tried purchasing mountain lion from Apple and when I redeemed the code on my app store app it popped up but wouldn't download. When I hit the download button nothing happens. It does the same thing with all the apps on it, I try to hit the "get" button and nothing happens. Is there anyway to fix this? I feel like my Macbook is no good anymore just cause it's old because I'm not able to do much on it.
10/20/2017
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Since your mac is currently 10.6.8 it's a little harder to upgrade to a more recent MAC OS version. You are correct though that that is why you are receiving errors, especially while trying to do anything in your internet browser. That is because your MAC OS version is so old your not able to have the most recent version of the internet browsers such as safari, chrome, firefox, etc.

Therefore, here is what I would try. But only if you are able to sign into your mac and visit the following link to download Mac OS 10.11 El capitan. It is free. https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Then you should be able to then have a more recent internet browser and the things you were describing should not happen any more. After you at least have 10.11 El Capitan installed, try it out first for a while and if you wanted you can always then upgrade to the most recent MacOS version which is 10.13 High Sierra but you may not be able to because of your limitations of your mac's hardware. You would have to check here for the system requirements. I am assuming if you have had 10.6.8 this entire time that your mac may be to old in tech specs.

If you have any questions let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When i click the link to download it, it takes me to the app store app on my macbook and it does the same thing when I hit download, nothing happens. I just tried it three different times. Should I maybe restore it to factory settings? I have all my files backed up on a usb.

In order to remote assist I just need you to do the following:

1. Click this link -> https://get.teamviewer.com/jonjatech

2. A file will automatically download, when finished downloading, click the file to open

3. Double click the icon inside in order to connect

You have 10.6.8 so you may not be able to use my remote assist link. Try downloading this one https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_XpveFVvnJBYUp0NFMtWXhid0E Just click the blue download button then open the file.

ON the last link I sent, you have to open the file and then if you are able to , tell me the "your ID" and the "password"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried both ways and it won't work. it says it requires 10.7.5 or later to open it

if that does not work then your computer is to old to remote assist. Which then makes me wonder if you can even upgrade to 10.11 El Capitan. Which may be the reason why the download button does not work.

On your mac, click the apple and go to about this mac and let me know the processor, memory, and see if your mac is at least one of the following. You may have to click the "more" or system report button to check this.

See if you have at least:

• MacBook (Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, so I'm not going to be charged $39 then right? lol.

Yeah we can take off the remote assist fee. I will flag this ticket for a refund and just incase I am going to give you the customer service info for that just incase.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

You can also call 1(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It says the processor is 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
and the memory is 4 gb 1333 MHz DDR3
It doesn't say the year but at the bottom it says 1983-2011. I think it's a 2011.

The sounds new enough to work though. Especially with those specs. Hmm, after you clicked download on the el capitan link, I know it did not look like anything happened but it could be that it is showing within your applications folder. Or I can't remember of 10.6 had the "Lanchpad" app or not but you can check in there as well. You can also open the app store again and see if its also listed in the "purchased" section at the top of the app store even though its free. It could be downloading in the background. See if its in any of those places. If not and if worse comes to worse (almost there) then you can create a bootable flash drive from another mac or someone elses mac, maybe a family member, friend, coworker, etc. This bootable usb flash drive would then be pluugged into your mac and you boot from it to install whatever version of the MacOS the mac you created the USB flash drive was. For example, if you have a friend that has 10.9 or higher you can create a usb drive. The steps are found here

ONce you have the USB drive created from the other mac, then you plug it into your mac, restart your mac, hold down "option" on your keyboard, and choose the USB drive to boot from in the list. It looks harder then it really is. That link to the usb page looks overwhelming but it really is not that hard.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast