Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

When I open Safari on my iMac, a screen appears, then

disappears immediately. JA: How much experience...
When I open Safari on my iMac, a screen appears, then disappears immediately.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: About five years. Until recently, I haven't had any trouble with Safari. The trouble started after I downloaded Firefox. I had to, because Optum (service for my Medical Spending Account) couldn't work with Safari.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Safari Help, System Preferences--Networks, Internet.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should do it.
10/18/2017
Aparna Indresh
Aparna Indresh, Mac Enthusiast

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

May I know whether the Safari browser crash or does the toolbar disappear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Safari disappears from the screen, but not from the toolbar
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't want to securely connect.

Thank you for that information. Can you help me with the OS version on your iMac?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It also disappears from the scroll down menus at the top.

Thank you for that information. To find a quick solution to this issue, can you help me with the OS version on your iMac?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OS 10.11.6
Safari Version 11.0
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried Firefox and Google Chrome. Their screens stay open, but they can't connect to any websites. When I checked Networks in System Preferences, it said my computer is connected. The network icon also shows that my computer is connected.

Have you tried rebooting your system?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it didn't correct the problem.

Since you have OS X El Capitan, we are unable to delete, disable, uninstall or corrupt the safari browser. But with the help of a software, we can reset the entire safari browser.

But resetting Safari is deleting all of the information from the browser, leaving it pristine like the first snow. Whatever history, data, extensions or else you had in Safari browser, after resetting it will all be wiped out irreversibly, so think twice if you have anything important stored in there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would that mean that all my bookmarks / favorites would be wiped out?

Yes that is correct. It will wipe out everything on the safari browser

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since neither Firefox or Google Crome can connect wth any website, isn't the problem related to connectivity instead of Safari only?

Could you let me know what error you get when you browse on firefox or chrome? For example (Page cannot be displayed, site can't be reached, connection was reset)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In order to try using Firefox and Good Crome, I have to log out of Just Answer, log out of the admin side of my computer and log into my side. (I am able to use fSafari on the admin side.) Then, I'll go back to the admin side and try to log back into JustAnswer. I may have problems with my password, but I'll try. Thanks for your help so far.

Thank you for your time and patience. If you have any other concern or else if you face any technical issue, I will be available to help you. Please do rate my service which you had with me and it will definitively help me to improve my service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The message on Firefox says, "Unable to Connect"
The message on Crome says, "The site can't be reached"

Are you connected to the network with a cable (hardwired) or through wifi?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Through WiFi (Comcast), not hardwired

Disconnect from the wifi.

Reboot the computer.

Reboot the Comcast modem/router

Reconnect to the wifi again

Check firefox and chrome whether you can load any webpages.

And please update me the status. I will be available to help you out. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did all the above. There is no improvement. I still can't get Safari to stay open and the messages are the same on Firefox and Crome. I noticed that a Norton message, "Application Blocking" came up briefly and then disappeared. Could Norton be blocking the search programs?

Could be. It has the capability to do that. Can you turn off the Norton Anti virus program for a minute and check whether you can access internet on your web browsers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I turned it off and was able to access the Internet using Firefox and Crome, but not Safari. I've turned it back on. Let's start again tomorrow late afternoon, if that's alright with you.

Sure. Thank you for your time and patience. Please update me on the status tomorrow, i will be glad to help you out to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Please do rate my service which you had with me and it will definitively help me to improve my service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O.K. i'll log in about 5 pm tomorrow. I'll be glad to rate your service after we finish. You've been a great help spring out possible solutions.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm back on. Are you available?

Hello. How are you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry, after waiting I went to Norton help. They helped me get connected to the Internet through Firefox and Google Chrome, but were still not able to get me connected through Safari. Norton was blocking Firefox and Google, but not Safari. Do you think it would help to uninstall Safari and reinstall it?

As I mentioned earlier, we cannot uninstall the safari entirely. We can reset the Safari browser to factory settings and try accessing it again to check whether it makes any difference.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let's do that.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm back at my computer now. I'm sorry I left.

That's alright. As I told you earlier we need to download a software/application to reset the Safari to factory settings. Let me share you the link.

We do have an option where we can take remote access on the computer. This is only an add on service and it is an optional plan, If you wish you can opt for this service, The reason why I inform is, it could eliminate delayed response and it increases our ability to resolve this issue. It is less time consuming and less complicated because you can see what I am doing. While there is a minimum fee of for this, It is 100% refundable if I am unable to resolve your issue. Would you like for a Remote access service?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O.K. I'll click the button.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is he or she going to call me or "chat" on this website?

Before we try a software, we will try to reset it manually. Please follow the instructions below

• Click on “Safari” located in the menu bar in the top left hand corner of the screen
  • Click on “Reset Safari...
  • ”Place a checkmark beside all available options
  • Press the “Reset” buttonClick on the Hard Drive icon located on the desktop
  • Browse to “Users > (Users Home) > Library > Safari folder”Drag every file except “Bookmarks.plist” into the TrashBrowse to “User > (Users Home) > Library > Preferences”
  • Locate “com.apple.Safari.plist”, “com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist” and “com.apple.internetconfig.plist” and drag them to the trash.
  • NOTE: If “com.apple.internetconfigpriv.plist” does not exist, ignore it and just trash the other two filesRestart Safari
Aparna Indresh
Aparna Indresh, Mac Enthusiast
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't open Safari from my side of the hard drive. I have to log out of VIP and log into Admin. Then, I can open Safari. I'll print out your instructions so I can follow them when I get into Safari. I'm using Firefox now.

Thanks you for choosing the remote service, I will be taking care of this issue personally by taking a remote access using secure remote connect.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O.K., that's good, because I couldn't find "Reset Safari" under Safari in the menu bar.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The request is not clear.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean by Expert Private Contact Info?

I am sharing you a link. Please download teamviewer on your Mac for me to take remote access

https://dl.tvcdn.de/download/TeamViewer.dmg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I installed TeamViewer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you get started soon. It's getting late.

May I have the remote ID?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where do I find it?

Open TeamViewer, you can find the remote ID

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My ID is 215 499 522
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a problem?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you're too busy, would you rather continue tomorrow afternoon?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've waited 20 minutes. Let's continue tomorrow. I'll log in at 4:00 p.m. to see if you're available.

I am sorry. There is a technical issue from our end. We could not take a remote access on your device. I am going to open this question to all the other experts by opting out from this issue, so that any one of the other experts will respond to you with a quick solution with no further charge. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aparna, thanks for ALL your help. I can still give you a high rating if you tell me how. Jon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm connected and ready to dialogue about my problem.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't wait much longer. How and when will you contact me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm leaving my computer now. You can reach me by phone at(###) ###-#### Jon
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I received an evaluation survey for Mabe, but not for Aparna. I'm also waiting for another Expert to contact me.
John T. F., Mac Druid

Hello, do you still need assistance with this issue?

Thanks,

Aparna Indresh
Aparna Indresh
Aparna Indresh, Mac Enthusiast