Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

ASH— I have lots of text from the past that I want to

convert into Word documents. When...
ASH— I have lots of text from the past that I want to convert into Word documents. When I scan them, they become jpg files, & I cannot convert they to Word. Using the link to Microsoft support that you gave me, I learned that I could get to Office Lens app for my iPhone. I could then take pictures of the documents, and they could be converted to Word. I followed their directions, but I could never transfer those Word docs to my MacBook Pro. I called Microsoft Support, but they wouldn't help me because I don't have Office 365. Can you help me know how to get these docs onto my Mac or how to find them if they are somewhere on my Mac? (They aren't labeled, except by numbers, and that doesn't help me.
10/17/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi George,The feature you are referring is OCR (Optical character recognition). Normally when you scan, the scanned item will be saved as a picture or image and they can't be edited. To make the scanned documents editable, you have to use OCR applications. OCR convert them to editable format, like Word document. Some printers comes with OCR apps or some don't

Only some selected costly business printers comes with free OCR applications. OCR applications are basically costly, however there are some free apps/sites out there.

Some of the best paid OCR applications are following below;

ABBY FineReader --> http://www.abbyyindia.com/finereader/

OmniPage --> http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/omnipage/standard/index.htm?PID=4133010

If you regularly need to scan and edit documents, then these apps are worth the investment.

If you only need this one or two times, then check the free following alternatives

Paperfile --> http://www.paperfile.net/

Tesseract OCR --> https://github.com/tesseract-ocr

There are also some online OCR services which you can upload the dcoument and it will convert the document to Word format and then you can edit it.

http://www.onlineocr.net/

https://finereaderonline.com/en-us

If you have any difficulty or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask

Ashik, Mac Technician
Ash— It took a lot of time (most of it preparation of the documents), but I finally was able to get the documents into DOCX format. I was able to do this using ABBY FineReader. Many thanks for your assistance. —George
You are most welcome!