Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I got a new iphone and I'm trying to set it up - I get to

Customer Question
I got a new iphone...
I got a new iphone and I'm trying to set it up - I get to the screen where I am to plug into itunes, which I do, and the screen says 'connected to itunes' but then nothing happens
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: iPhone 7 plus - brand new (first set up_
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried to do this on three different computers and always get stuck on the same screen - it just won't action when connected to itunes
JA: Anything else you want the smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, just help with this would be great
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mac
10/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: tyroneboman, Mac Genius replied 1 month ago
tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Mac Genius

My name is Randy,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you.

Do you have the iTunes software installed on your computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do - newly installed on this (the third computer!) that I am trying to synch my iphone to

The best option will be to use a secure remote screen connection to troubleshoot the issue, this will require downloading a screen connect app to get us started. Will that be okay?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't afford to pay more. I'm reasonably tech savvy - can't you just tell me what the problem is?

okay,

Follow these steps to reinstall the Apple Mobile Device USB driver:

1. Disconnect your device from the computer.
  2. Reconnect your device. If iTunes opens, close it.
  3. Press the Windows and R key on your keyboard to open the Run command.
  4. In the Run window, enter:
    %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  5. Click OK.
  6. Right-click on the usbaapl64.inf or usbaapl.inf file and select Install.

You might see other files that start with usbaapl64 or usbaapl. Make sure to install the file that ends in .inf. If you’re not sure which file to install, right-click a blank area in the File Explorer Window, click View, then click Details to find the correct file type. You want to install the Setup Information file.
  7. Disconnect your device from your computer, then restart your computer.
  8. Reconnect your device and open iTunes.

If that fails,

Check Device Manager to see if the Apple Mobile Device USB driver is installed. Follow these steps to open Device Manager:

1. Press the Windows and R key on your keyboard to open the Run command.
  2. In the Run window, enter devmgmt.msc, then click OK. Device Manager should open.
  3. Locate and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
  4. Look for the Apple Mobile Device USB driver.
  5. If you don't see the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver or you see Unknown Device:

6. Connect your device to your computer with a different USB cable.

1. If you see the Apple Mobile Device USB driver with an error symbo next to the Apple Mobile Device USB driver, follow these steps:

2. Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service.

Follow these steps to restart AMDS:

1. Close iTunes and disconnect any iPhone, iPad, or iPod that's currently connected.
  2. Access the Run command by simultaneously pressing the Windows logo key and the R key on your computer's keyboard.
  3. Type services.msc and click Ok. The services console should open.
  4. Right-click on Apple Mobile Device Service and click Properties in the shortcut menu.
  5. Set the Startup type pop-up menu to Automatic.
  6. Click Stop the service.
  7. After the service has stopped, click Start the service.
  8. Click Ok.
  9. Restart the computer.
  10. Open iTunes and connect the device.
tyroneboman
tyroneboman
tyroneboman, Mac Genius