Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

All of the folders on my desktop suddenly disappeared and

Second opinion] All of the...
Second opinion] All of the folders on my desktop suddenly disappeared and cant be found with spotlight. I keep getting notices saying that my connection to the cloud timed out and I have to re-login while in the middle of another task. Any ideas ?
10/15/2017
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

There is an option in iCloud to store Desktop and Documents in the cloud and when you turn off or disable this option, there will be an empty Desktop and Documents folder.

This is so any new items placed in Documents or Desktop are not synced to iCloud.

They have not disappeared from your Mac though, they are still in your local iCloud drive folder.

Open a Finder window and click iCloud drive on the left sidebar. Inside you will see Documents and Desktop.

Inside those folders are the files that were moved. Select any and move them to your current Desktop or Documents folder and they will be back in place.

As you mention the iCloud timeout, that explains why the Desktop and Documents are empty, because iCloud can't login.

Open System Preferences > iCloud, and re-enter your login details. When you are there you can see the Options and where to enable or disable Desktop and Documents syncing.

Let me know if you have more specific questions thank you!

PS Please take a moment to rate my help, many thanks!

David, Mac Support Specialist
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Just now getting around to this, but there's no iCloud drive shown in the sidebar.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Never mind. I found it in System Preferences.
David, Mac Support Specialist