Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just switched service providers and upgraded to a new

Customer Question
I just switched service...

I just switched service providers and upgraded to a new iPhone 8 plus

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

The restore has been taking 2 hours and seems stuck

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Last 2 hours

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

I can't trouble shoot. I can't even turn it off Ok

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 10 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First we can reset your iPhone and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Volume down button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot. This will reset it and let you continue.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I'm holding down the volume and power button and nothing happens

You need to hold down Volume down and Power at the same time until it shows Apple logo (max of 15 seconds)

Doesn't it show the Apple logo ?

Doesn't it show the Apple logo ?

Remember, the above steps are for iPhone 7 and later (which includes iPhone 8 Plus)

FYI If you are using iPhone 6S Plus or lower model, then you need to hold down Home and Power button instead for 10 seconds

No, just the restore icon with the progress line under it

I see that phone is in a case. So take it out from the case. Then hold down Volume down button and Power button at same time for 10 seconds and does it go to Apple logo (without the bar under it) ?

If it still not working, then that means it is a corruption in the restore process.

Do you still have the old iPhone and a computer there ?

Are you there ?

Still not working ...

Then we have to fix it using your computer. Are you talking to me from your computer now ?

Not with me but I do at home....

Since the reset doesn't work, you will have to restore the iPhone from your computer, using iTunes application.

You can force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it and then you can restore from backup (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to restore the phone to working condition)

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button at the same time for 8 seconds.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the volume down button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Once it is restored, you can restore from backup from iCloud or from iTunes

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Since you don't have the computer with you, we can continue this session later. You can get back to me later via the email you received from JustAnswer or via www.justanswer.com

Click OK or Restore

I'm back a year my computer. When I follow your directions to reset it, it doesn't work. Meaning nothing happens and iTunes doesn't recognize that I've connected the devise and asks to restore
Sorry for the delay. Goto www.3utools.comInstall 3utools. Open 3utoolsnand does it recognize the phone ?

Sorry for the delay. Goto www.3utools.com or www.3u.com

Install 3utools. Open 3utools and does it recognize the phone ?