Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I received an email from Apple telling me my account has…

Customer Question
I received an email...

I received an email from Apple telling me my account has been hacked and that someone has billed my account for $99. Is this email from Itunes? or is it fraudulent?

Technician's Assistant: Have you contacted anyone about your account?

No but the email had shortcuts to pdf files

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not from itunes

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I had updated my iphone 6 only to have it shut down and not usable. The front screen has a message on it to go to itunes support

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not have a mac

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mac
10/5/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 10 months ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake email message; it is a scam, so please do not follow any instructions in it. Apple / the iTunes Store would never ask you to provide personal information or sensitive account information (such as passwords or credit card numbers) via email. You should not respond to any email message that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- To confirm that it's a fake email message, please check the "From" email address. If needed, please copy and paste here the content of that email message, then I can check it for no.

- Do you need help with fixing your iPhone 6?

- Do you also have a Windows XP, Vista, or 7 or 8 or 10 computer?
Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

If your iPhone is still showing the message to go to iTunes support, then please try the following fix:

1. Open iTunes program on your computer. If needed, download and install the iTunes software at the Apple website below on the computer first:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
  2. Then connect your iPhone to your computer.
  3. Then follow the instructions in the iTunes program on your computer in order to restore / fix your iPhone.

Also, for more information about email scams, please click on the website below:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201679

If needed, here is another method for fixing your iPhone 6:

1. Open iTunes program on your computer. If your computer does not have the iTunes program, then you an download / install it at the website below:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
  2. Connect the iPhone to the computer with the USB Cable.
  3. On the iPhone, press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  4. After 11 seconds release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button (for about another 10 seconds) until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
  5. Click Restore and confirm / continue.
    - Note: You can click on the small circle icon at the upper right corner in the iTunes program on the computer in order to see the download progress.

Note: The steps must be done correctly; you may have to try a couple of times, or so.

- You can also see the video instructions at the website below; it may be easier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JY750KUmk

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

How is it going?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,