Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I plugged my Seaport back drive into my Mac Book and want to…

Customer Question
I plugged my Seaport...

I plugged my Seaport back drive into my Mac Book and want to know how to do a complete back up

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?

New 2017 mac book pro

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No, want to install new OS and want to back up first

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None can i just drag my HD into the Seagate?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
9/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Connect the external drive to your Mac. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility (or search Disk Utility in Spotlight and open it from there). In Disk Utility, select your Segate external hard drive in the left column. Under Erase tab, click Erase button. This will correctly format the hard drive to work with the Mac

Note : This will delete everything from the Segate drive and make it ready to work with your Mac. If you have any important files on it, then don't do the erase. Instead, let me know please.

After erasing, the best way to backup the entire Mac to the hard drive is by using the Time Machine. Time Machine is the built in backup program in OS X.

Go to Apple menu > System Preferences. In System Preferences, choose Time Machine. Turn on Time Machine switch. Click "Select Backup Disk" button and choose the Segate drive. Then click Backup button there (or click on the Time Machine icon at the top bar left to WiFi, bluetooth etc icon and choose Backup Now).

Once you setup this, your Mac will automatically backup the Mac to the drive everyday.

Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201250

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Mac Technician