Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I forgot my password to iPhone 7 and have exceeded the

Customer Question
I forgot my password...

I forgot my password ***** iPhone 7 and have exceeded the number of attempts

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

IPhone 7, one year I think

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Since last night I have tried using iTunes, tried erasing from find myiphoen, but I'm not connected to wifi and cant connect

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

My computer keeps saying iTunes could not connec tto this iPhone. the value is missing. I don't know what that means

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

When you connect your iPhone to your computer via the USB cable, does iTunes see your iPhone?

thanks

It does, and then it says value is missing and won't connect

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
I have tried this so many times and recovery mode never appears - just power off

If you follow the steps exactly, recovery mode will appear.

These are probably a bit different than the steps you have done before.

does it matter that my phone will not connect to iTunes, says value is missing

Disconnect the phone, close iTunes, then connect the phone.

After the phone is connected, then open iTunes again.

do I want the computer to access the iPhone

Yes

Okay, after clicking connect it says iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. the value is missing.
I am now going to press the volume down and other side button to enter recovery mode - when I do this, the only option that pops up is to turn off, which it automatically does

Okay, are you using a Mac computer?

If so, what is the model

MacBook pro

What year is the MacBook?

2010-2011; I updated the software today, and iTunes to the latest version

Did you completely uninstall iTunes then reinstall?

No

Let's go ahead and try that.

Completely reinstalling iTunes is a common fix for this problem.

how do I uninstall? drag to trash?

You can follow the steps HERE to completely remove the program.

Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer