Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My device is working fine actually went to do a Microsoft…

Customer Question
Hello my device is...

Hello my device is working fine actually went to do a Microsoft update I received an image saying that there were multiple things cash is another things that needed to be removed I contacted the number that was affiliated because I know there’s a lot of scams going on the gentleman that answered had no knowledge of me having a Mac he was asking personal questions about my name in my email and was Asking for my access to my computer remote access so that he could visualize it himself I cut off the conversation as per my father recommending I contact you directly due to all of the scams that are going on I just want to make sure everything with my computer is fine I rely on it for everything Asking for my access to my computer remote access so that he could visualize it himself I cut off the conversation as per my father recommending I contact you directly due to all of the scams that are going on I just want to make sure everything with my computer is fine I rely on it for everything

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

Right now I have Safari and word operating and it is a Mac OS X I believe I’m not exactly sure where I would look I’m sorry I’m not that very good with computers

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I know my computer but basically just to work I believe it’s a Mac OS X I know my computer but basically just to work I believe it’s a Mac OS X

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Honestly I haven’t tried any all I got was a pop up when I went to do a word document that stated I needed a Microsoft update so I’m in the middle of just updating everything and then this weird file popped up and this gentleman was trying to get all my information I haven’t been experiencing any problems I mean it’s running a little slow but I know I have a lot of information on here but other than that I have nit experienced any issues

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No that’s all I just want to make sure that everything is OK I want to make sure that the gentleman who called me was legit that he didn’t get access to anything he wasn’t supposed to do I’m just very concerned this is like my lifeline I’m in nursing school and God for bid something happens to this I don’t know what I’ll do No that’s all I just want to make sure that everything is OK I want to make sure that the gentleman who called me was legit that he didn’t get access to anything he wasn’t supposed to do I’m just very concerned this is like my lifeline I’m in nursing school and God for bid something happens to this I don’t know what I’ll do

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mac
Hello so at this point I’m wondering if there is something wrong with my Mac or if I was trying to be scammed it seems to be running fine however I did get some weird number with a weird individual answering asking personal questions about myself about my computer on wanting to connect to my computer on his end and I just didn’t feel comfortable so I hung up now I’m contacting Macdirectly and I’m hoping that you can let me know if there is actually an issue or if I was being scammed
9/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 7 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That was indeed a SCAM. It is wise of you to not give access to that person. There are not much viruses for Macs like Windows. Macs are virtually invulnerable to viruses out there (there are some adwares out there though). As long as you don't install any applications from untrusted websites, you will be ok. Virus usually affect the root system files and your Mac will not allow any programs to modify or access the root system files without your permission. To install any applications that access root files, it will ask for user account and password. Don't allow permission to apps that you don't trust, like apps trying to download automatically from internet. No worries. Your Mac is fine. And I believe you didn't provide them any passwords or credit card details.

Also, as I mentioned before, there are some adwares or malware that affect Safari or browsers. To delete them, just download and scan your Mac using this application --> https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Also, always to regular software updates from Apple menu > App Store > Updates. If you see UPGRADe or Updates there, then do them. This will make your Mac safe from online threats.

Note : We, this tech company, also support secure remote service. So you may get that offer after getting this answer which is automatic. You don't need to accept it since there is no need.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Mac Technician