Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Sherlock search function is only pulling up "mail &

Customer Question
Sherlock search function is...

Sherlock search function is only pulling up "mail & messages" documents. How do I restore functionality? I need it to search all applications.

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

Sierra 10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No Brand new computer. Bought it Sunday Search function was workingyesterday

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I restarted the computer Problem unchanged

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mac
On the initial search it pulls up all kinds of documents. But when I click "Show all in Finder" it gives me only Mail & Messages.
9/30/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 10 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

For example, on one particular search, I get Word, PDF and Calendar files. But when I click "Show all in Finder" I not only get all Mail & Messages files, I lose the original list.

When you say "sherlock" do you mean "spotlight"? Spotlight is the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of your mac to search for files. Also, what exactly are you searching for?

Spotlight, yes
The search I am running is for "736 Answer."
But -- and this makes it even weirder -- when I search for "answer" I get responses in multiple applications.
if I search "Rule 736 Answer" I get a smattering of results in PDF and Mail only, but when I click "Show All in Finder" I get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
To make this EXTRA weird, several of the PDF docs that appear are just PDF versions of Word documents on my computer -- which do NOT appear in the Spotlight search.
I'm baffled.
I've been running Macs since 1987, and I've never seen one behave like this.

Just reviewing your posts, one moment.

Do you happen to ever see the spotlight area state "indexing..." or something like that at all?

When you click on "show all in finder"...did you just click it once. It will look like its suppose to appear on the right hand side column but you have to double click it to actually open a completely different finder window. After you do this, does nothing still show up? You have been using macs forever like you mentioned so I just wanted to throw that out there to make sure and not insult you trust me. Sounds like you will need to do the following then:

Since searching your Mac doesn’t return expected results, rebuilding the the Spotlight index might help.

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Spotlight.
  2. Click the Privacy tab.
  3. Drag the folder or disk that you want to index again to the list of locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching. Or click the Add (+) button and select the folder or disk to add.
    To add an item to the Privacy tab, you must have ownership permissions for that item. To learn about permissions, choose Help from the Finder menu bar, then search for “permissions.”
  4. From the same list of locations, select the folder or disk that you just added. Then click the Remove (–) button to remove it from the list.
  5. Quit System Preferences. Spotlight will reindex the contents of the folder or disk.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Nothing so far.
It's reindexing

Yes, the reindexing should help but can take a long time. You can use your computer while reindexing but it can cause delays as it already takes it a long time to complete without interaction.

thanks

Your very welcome :)

Just FYI as well, is that you can limit or "control" what spotlight searches as well incase it becomes overwhelming or achieve slow search times. You can go to Go to System Preferences > Spotlight > Search Results and check or uncheck categories of where it can search or not search. Sorry if your already know this information but just want to cover my basis.

If possible, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name.

Thanks
I've never seen searchlight act like this before. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Your welcome.

Yeah, spotlight it can do some weird things, and if that does not work, if worse comes to worse you can always do a first aid check on the HD which can also put permissions all back into place and then also try and reinstall the OS without worrying about deleting any of your data. Just incase you have not done either one before here is how below.

Mac Recovery - Disk Utility- First aid

You can try to boot into whats called "recovery mode":

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "Disk Utility"
  5. On the left side menu, click/choose your primary hard drive which is by default called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then on the right side menu, choose "first aid"
  7. Wait for the process to finish as it will either let you know the drive has errors or tell you its "ok" (let me know)

Once the checking process is complete, it will show that your drive is ok or it may report back with errors. Please let me know what the error says.

Mac Recovery - OS reinstall (your data is not deleted)

1. Restart your mac
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next