Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

It wont reco recognise the correct password. Some time ago.

Customer Question
It wont reco recognise...

It wont reco recognise the correct password

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reset your username and password?

Some time ago

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

I have a macbook pro with the latest operating system

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It is only 7 months old

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

It asks me if i am having a problem entering my password ***** start up in recovery mode, which i have done and then when i go to enter my aplle id info it says that is wrong too.. but if i log in on my desktop it is fine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
9/28/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 8 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

To clarify, the issue is with the password ***** your Apple ID correct?

Please let me know

no with the password ***** my computer ...

To sign into your Mac?

i have just paid £25 .. what was that for?

This question... and service I am providing..

Can you please respond to my last question?

to sign into my mac book pro

ok, you will have to reset the password

To do this

Power off the Mac

Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).

This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed

When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.

In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.

resetpassword

A new window will open, like this:

http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpg

Click on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.

When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Let me know the results please

no chime, wont power off when it comes back it is just the same screen as normal.. laptop has a mind of its own

Can you make sure it is fully powered off and then try again please.

It can take a few goes to get itt right

it has given me the welcome screen with all languages to choose from

yes, choose English and continue with the instructions I gave please

all i get is a window saying reset password
keyboard in us mode not british
it asks for my apple id and password ***** then says that is incorrecct
i cannot get to the screen you say should appear

ok, so the issue is you also have a problem with your apple id password.. so reset it here

https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Then you can reset your password ***** the computer

no.. my apple id works on everything else
including this imac that i am using now
or do i have to change it on everything again

If it is rejecting the apple id, then either it is a different ID you used on this computer or the password ***** ***** issue.

Else we will need to reformat the Mac and return it to new.

If you cannot get past this screen, this is what is required. Your data wont be touched but prgrams you have to install again

To do this

Power off the Mac

Then choose to reinstall the OS

it says there is a server error
If it is rejecting the apple id, then either it is a different ID you used on this computer or the password ***** ***** issue.Else we will need to reformat the Mac and return it to new.If you cannot get past this screen, this is what is required. Your data wont be touched but prgrams you have to install againTo do thisPower off the MacRight after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installedThen choose to reinstall the OS
it will only let me get to unlock the dish on re install and then rejects the password
disk not dish.. sorry

ok, then we have to delete the data first, you will lose files on it but this we cannot avoid

Choose to erase disk.

Then choose to reinstall please

what am i erasing
only lets me go to disk utilityand first aid
.. no erase possible

What was the exact error it gave you you tried to erase?

do you mean erase Apple SSD APO256J Media

If this is your disk in the list yes erase this please

Richard, Apple Software Engineer