Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Speeding up older MacBook

Customer Question
.....
Speeding up older MacBook ..
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/26/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 9 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

How old is your Mac ?

Hi ashik it is a mid 2011

Go to Apple > About This Mac and what is the processor and memory there ?

4gb memory 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo

We can run Disk Utility and this will fix corrupted files, bad preferences etc. Turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using 10.11 El Capitan or later, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into Safe Mode. Then restart normally.

Let me know how it goes...

If you really want to improve the speed significantly, then you should consider replacing the hard drive and upgrade it to a SSD.

Let me explain. There are two types of primary storage drives - 1 - Hard drives (mechanical drives, low cost per GB but slow speed), that is what your Mac has now,

2 - SSD (chip based, high cost per GB but super performance and speed)

I'd recommend to replace your hard drive with a SSD (250GB atleast) and you will see atleast 5x performance in speed.

Although SSD are costlier than HDD, it is definitely worth it

Any brand of SSD will work with your Mac like Samsung, Intel etc

See a sample video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2Axf5XAlk

How much would this cost

The SSD itself is about $100 for 250GB and $150 for 500GB if you install it yourself. But it will cost more if you do it from computer repair shops

Ok I understand is there any tweaks I can do for the moment ?

Yes, you can do the original answer I sent you to improve the speed

I don't know what I have done but it is slower than before ..a terrible lag on all commands ..do you know why this could be?

The above steps aren't supposed to make it slower, instead those are supposed to clear old cache files and make things faster. Try this. Tturn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys. Let it boot.

Also, make sure there is enough space on your Mac.

Is there a way I can find out what programs are running when I am using it
Activity Monitor from Applications > Utilities folder will show all running programs
Ok the wheel spins now 2 to 3 mins for every command ..terrible
That is not normal. First of all, backup all your important files to an external hard drive.Macs usually get slower if there is any issue with the hard drive. So you should backup everything.Then I want you to boot into Safe mode i.e by.holding Shift at startup and test the Mac in safe mode for an hour.
I uninstalled google drive huge improvement
You should really consider upgrading to a SSD. Trust me, it is really worth it
If you go to youtube.com and search "Mac SSD" or similar terms you will find videos about Macs with SSDs and their speed improvement