Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Downloaded Mac OS 10.6.8. I can’t install it because I don’t…

Downloaded Mac OS 10.6.8...

Downloaded Mac OS 10.6.8. I can’t install it because I don’t know my password. Can you help me change it?

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

I’ve had it a long time but never use the password.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Had no success trying to change it under accounts under preferences because you need the old password ***** get a new one

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I ultimately want to update to OS 10.8 to set up my new printer

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

To make sure, what exact version of OS X are you using ? Check it from Apple > About This Mac

OS X 10.6.7

Your Mac may can handle the 10.11 El Capitan which is still available to download or it may even support 10.12 Sierra. To install all of those, you will be needing the administrator password.

So to reset the password, there are several ways. Do you have the Mac OS X 10.6 installation discs came with your Mac ?

I don’t have the disc

It would be easy to reset via discs. Since you don't have it, we have to reset it different way.

We can boot your Mac to a special mode called Single User Mode. Then type some commands/texts there which will force your Mac to bring the new account setup screen. So you can setup a brand new admin account and then use that account to reset the password ***** your original account. This might seem a little difficult, but it is actually easy.

Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.

• Turn off/shut down your Mac.

• Turn it on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Administrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

(If it returns any errors after any command above, then you are entering the commands incorrectly. Make sure you enter it correctly)

When you enter last command and press return, the Mac will shut down. So turn it back on, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Login to new account. Then in new account (which will be blank), go to System Preferences > Accounts or Users & Groups, select your old account and change/reset the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.

If you get any message about keychain, then follow the steps below to solve it.

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Here are the commands in details if you need

mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>

rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>

shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>

ok. Thanks! Should I try it now? Will I lose contact with you when I shut down the computer?

Yes, try it. Once you reset the password, I will help you to upgrade the OS X to the latest it can handle.

Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me after restart,

Also, you can open this question on your phone or tablet. Go to www.justanswer.com, login to the account and you can access this question under My Questions. Then reply there. That way, I can walk you through the steps if you face any difficulty.

(or open the question on your phone or tablet via the email received from JustAnswer)

I don't see where I can type the commands

Are you talking to me from your phone/tablet now ?

What is your Mac showing now ?

The last line showsIf you wish to boot the system:
exit
:/ root# *****

Turn it off. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and S keys again. Let me know what happns

Writing is on the screen

You can try after this text : / root#

I mean you can type after this text : / root#

So write the commands correctly and exactly after / root#

Please do!!

Enter the commands there

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

Hit return after each line. Here the commands in detail

please do

Sorry, what do you mean by "Please do" ?

Do I need to do anything now?
Can you remotely do this?
Please do if you can
Thank you

Sorry, remote connection will not work in that mode. Your Mac not allow remote connection. So you need to do this yourself, but I will walk you through here. Doesn't matter how much time it will take, I will stay with you until we fix it.

So in that screen on Mac, type the following commands

Enter the commands there mount -uw /rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDoneshutdown -h now Hit return after each line. Here the commands in detail mount<press space>-uw<press space>/<press enter/return>rm<press space>/var/db/.AppleSetupDone<press enter/return>shutdown<press space>-h<press space>now<press enter/return>
Ok-I entered the command

After the last command, your Mac should turn off. Is it off now ?

Should I do something else now?
It is off

Are you not getting my replies ?

Turn it on and tell me what happens. Does it take you to a welcome screen ?

It is off

Mac OS X
Language choice page is showing

Great ! You did correctly. Now just follow onscreen instructions and you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account (when creating the account, if you're asked to transfer information, select Don't transfer)

Okay-have new password
What should I do next? Thank you!
Are you still there or did I lose you?

I'm here

After resetting password, logout from Apple menu and login to your old account with the new password.

Ok

Then install the 10.6.8 update. Once you did that, try to download and install the El capitan directly from this link --> https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Send the above link to your Mac (you can send it as an email to yourself).

This will take you to App Store with 10.11 El Capitan link. So click GET button and use your Apple ID and password ***** download it. Once it is downloaded, it will open the installer (will take a few hours to download) and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.

Ok. Will do

Good luck

Thank you! We're done.Have a super day'

You're most welcome !

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

Thank you!

My pleasure..

Ashik, Mac Technician