Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have tried to skype a friend in The Ukraine. There is no…

Customer Question
I have tried...

I have tried to skype a friend in The Ukraine. There is no voice-no audio. We have been skyping for 4 years with no problems. We both have Mac laptop computers. I did restart the computer but still have the problem.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

I have the 10.11.6 OS X el captain. I am not sure what you mean when you ask the version. I don't know the model and the version of the other mac

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I think so but I did delete malware.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
9/23/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 8 months ago
Josh, Mac Support

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Open Skype

In the Menu bar at the top, click on Skype then Check for Updates

Did you see any updates available?

no Is there a fee to securely connect my device. Friend in Ukraine can hear me

Yes, there is a fee to connect which is an additional fee to our service but optional.

Is the issue that you cannot hear them?

Please give me information how to fix myself

Is the issue that you cannot hear them?

I can't hear her but can see her.

If you can't hear her then it is likely that the issue is on her end and not yours.

She can hear me.

Correct -- If you cannot hear her then the issue is on her end with her microphone.

You do not think it has to do with anything on my end. I did go to the mac store because mac was running slowly and they did something to fix it.

No, if you cannot hear her then it is likely an issue on her end. Think of it this way, if you cannot hear it then it is likely muted on her end; similar to a phone call.

I shall ask her to skype her sister in the Ukraine to see if it is her problem. How does she fix her microphone? her microphone is not muted. Can she check something on her end?

Ask her to Skype someone else and see if they have the same issue

I will. if there is still a problem can she fix it herself?

Yes, she will need to check her settings if it is muted on her end.

It could be a muted setting or an issue with her microphone.

If there is a problem with the microphone does she need to contact apple?

If it is an issue with the physical microphone then yes.

Thanks for everything. I'll end now. You were great and I recommend you highly.

Thank you for the kind words.

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit