Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I received a message from Windows yesterday that I had a…

Customer Question
I received a message...

I received a message from Windows yesterday that I had a virus. Can you help me? I don't have the phone number given in the message yesterday. Denise D'Aoust, ***@******.***

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

An Apple Mac Book Air.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No, although I was offered one I think for Firefox

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm so computer " challenges" that I would't know...

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mac
9/22/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 10 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That was a SCAM message and may lead to malware/adware. DO NOT call their number nor install any apps offered in that site. Macs are invulnerable to most of all viruses out there (there are some adware/malware though but will not affect if your Mac if you didn't install anything from those message).

Did you clear that message properly ? If not, then do this.

Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit window. Select Safari and click Force Quit. This will close Safari.

Then hold down Shift key on your keyboard and open Safari. Click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. On the dropdown next to Clear, select All History and click Clear History. (If you see Reset Safari instead, click it and Reset Safari)

That will remove all traces of that scam page. If you are using Firefox, then force quit Firefox. Hold down Shift, open Firefox and close all pages. Then close Firefox and open it again.

If you get any kind of those messages again, please let me know.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.