Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Data Systems Analyst for a School District
97029936

ITunes cannot see my iPod. My windows can see my iPod,

iTunes cannot see my iPod. My windows can see my iPod
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not much. I checked Control panel and can see my iPod there
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

First make sure you have the most recent version of itunes installed.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Help > Check for Updates.
  3. Follow the prompts to install the latest version.

Then it gets more complicated if that doesn't work: (please let me know if you are not comfortable doing these steps as I can always remote assist just let me know)

1. Open “Control Panel“.
  2. Select “Hardware and Sound“.
  3. Select “Devices and Printers“.
  4. Your iPhone or iPod should be displayed in the “Unspecified” section. Right-click it and select “Properties“.
    Note: If you don’t see your device listed here, ensure you have selected to trust the PC on the device and you are using a supported cable.
  5. Select the “Hardware” tab, then click the “Properties” button.
  6. From the “General” tab, select the “Change settings” button.
  7. Select the “Driver” tab, then select “Update Driver“.
  8. Choose “Browse my computer for driver software“.
  9. Select “Browse…” then navigate to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers“. If you don’t have this folder, check in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers“.
  10. Click “Next” > “Close.

Then try and see if itunes can see your phone

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Didn't work. Says my iPod is up to date

In order to remote assist I just need you to do the following:

1. Click this link -> https://get.teamviewer.com/jonjatech

2. A file will automatically download, when finished downloading, click the file to open

3. Double click the icon inside in order to connect

Just some notes:

Was able to remote into PC win 10

Phone is recognized by bluetooth but not usb

checked device manager and no apple mobile device driver under USB

checked “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers“ and there are no drivers listed to reinstall driver.

Also checked services.msc and checked to see if the apple mobile device service was running and tried to start and stop service. It was there running but we stopped and started anyways and uninstalled itunes

after reboot we will try and reinstall itunes then check drivers again

We just need to make sure to reconnect via remote assist let me know

Let me know when the computer is done rebooting. IT's trying to reconnect me but its not working. You may need to download the file again from the link https://get.teamviewer.com/jonjatech let me know

was able to reconnect

reinstalled itunes

at least now the ipod shows up in the windows explorer

However, still does not connect to itunes

Checked device manager again

noticed that in the device manager under USB list it said unknown device instead of apple mobile device liek it should

the driver details stated that windows has an error occur. I then asked if they were using a USB hub and the answer was yes.

After we took the ipod out of the usb hub and plugged it directly into the PC we had to restart one more time and then we were able to get itunes to recognize ipod

What probably happened was the hib sometimes worked and sometimes did not probably due to power for the ipod.

Just reminded them to always use the ipod directly to the computer from now on.

itunes is now able to talk to the ipod.

Thanks again for your time and patients during the troubleshooting process.

Very nice to work with take care and enjoy your ipod! :)