Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a storage problem with my iPad mini. It says that I…

I have a storage...

I have a storage problem with my iPad mini. It says that I have 5 video's taking up 21 gig of space. I cannot find the videos to delete either in settings or when I sync to my Macbook and check the device through iTunes.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

The latest version.

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iPad? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I got it for Christmas and I have tried to use an older backup from my computer.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

If you open the Videos app on the iPad you should then see all videos on your iPad

What do you see when you open the app?

Please let me know

I do not have a Videos app.

Swipe to the very left screen until you are at the search, then search for video and you should see it show for you

I searched for videos on this device and there are none

ok, this is likely part of the issue

Hold the home and power buttons on the iPad for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo then release.

Let the iPad restart and tell me if you still get the storage issue please

It's still an issue and the largest storage is labeled Media.

If you go to settings, general, Usuage, what is the largest space being used?

Media, when I sync it with my computer it is labeled as video on iTunes.
Could the videos be movies I rented and watched but have expired?

It may be, but I do not see why you cannt find the video app, did you check all pages?

When I watch movies it is through the TV app. I have checked it and there is one mive waiting to download but there is not enough space to down load it.

ok, if it is TV, do this

1. Open the TV app.
  2. From the menu at the bottom of the screen, tap Library.
  3. Under Library, tap Downloaded.
  4. Find the movie or TV show that you want to delete, then tap it.
  5. Firmly press the item to use 3D Touch, then tap Remove Download . Or tap , then tap Remove Download

Let me know when you have please

It is not showing any downloaded movies.

ok, what other videos have you added to it and from where? eg: Netflix?

None, I have watch some TV shows but that was through an app not downloaded.

which app? as they usually download so you can watch them

HBO

uninstall the app from the iPad

Then restart using the power and home buttons again

Does it then free up the space?

No it did not.

what other media apps do you have installed?

I have iBooks with one download book. I have deleted everything else.

If you go to the camera roll, and view photos and videos, do you see any videos there?

It says No Photos or Videos.

ok, it looks like the data on the pad is corrupted.

Go to settings, general, reset, reset all settings

Once done, tell me if it then frees up the space please

No it didn't.

ok, we need to do a full reset of the iPad to reinstall the firmware.

This will remove all your personal content from the iPad and return it to new, but this we cannot avoid.

To do the reset, go to setting, general, reset, erase all content and reset settings

Once done, set it up again and tell me how it then functions

Let me know the results please

It basically wiped my iPad clean and freed up the storage.

yes, the data usage was corrupted as it was not being used at all, this we confirmed and following all the repairs we attemped we had to wipe it.

It is now functioning correctly?

thanks for your help.

you are welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer