Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an Activation Lock that just showed up. What

Customer Question
I have an Activation...

I have an Activation Lock that just showed up. What happened?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

I believe I got it in 2013 or 2014 - it has an otterbox on it and I can't get it off, so don't know what make/model it is. I am not able to get passed this screen that says activation lock

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It is an iPhone 5 something I think

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

I would like to know what caused this

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mac
9/21/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 10 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

What causes the activation lock is when the phone can not be signed into with the correct combination of both the apple id and the password. However, don't worry as you can go on a different device or computer and visit https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and type in your apple id and continue. Then apple will give you an option to reset your password ***** by email, security questions, text message, etc.

Then once your password ***** ***** you can try and sign into the iphone. If it still does not work, you can force restart your iphone by doing the following and then try your apple id and password ***** while making sure you are connected to wifi:

• Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that does not work still please let me know.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.