Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have an iMac 5K, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and I upgrades the…

I have an iMac 5K...
I have an iMac 5K, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and I upgrades the OS to macOS Sierra, version 10.12.6 a while ago. Since that time I have been unable to install most third party software ( like Firefox and Skype).
I believe that it is some privacy or security setting but I have been unable to adjust that is preventing me from doing the installs as when I attempt it I get a message that says the installation file is damaged and can not be opened and should be moved to the trash. This is the same message every time and it blocks proceeding.
I would appreciate assistance in resolving this problem.
9/20/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There is a security measure named GateKeeper that protect you from downloads that are from unauthorized developers. But Skype, Firefox etc are from authorized developers and shouldn't cause it unless your Mac is set to prevent all external downloads.

Let's check it. Go to Apple > System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Click General tab and unlock the lock there. Now you will see three options there.

1 - Mac App Store

2 - Mac App Store and Identifier Developers

3 - Anywhere

You can set to 2 or 3 to download them.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Security settings seems to be correct. Do you have any Anti Virus applications installed ?

Not that I had installed but a iMac repair store may have installed something when they recovered it after a lock up after my update to Sierra. Where could I see that?

What is the blue icon at the top bar left to WiFi ?

Check the Applications folder and do you see any protection or anti virus apps ?

Yes, I'm going to send you Firefox in a zip folder. Let's see if you can open it

Ashik, Mac Technician
Ready when you are

I see that you requested remote. Did you do this accidentally ?

Probably - I thought that you were telling me that you could not proceed without connecting

I mean, your Mac is unable to open files in dmg format. So I downloaded Firefox, extracted it from dmg and put it on a dmg folder. Now, I want you to download it from here --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q0vn772b4g0xcx/Firefox.zip?dl=0

(Click "No, thanks. Continue to view" at the bottom to download it without logging or creating Dropbox account)

Then open the downloaded file and do you see Firefox ?

Maybe your system automatically issues this after a couple of msg responses - not appreciated if that is the case.

Re secure remote, Yes, it is an automatic offer sent by this site. Not by me. We techs don't have any control over those matters. Sorry about that. No worries, you can get refund for that.

You don't need to install Dropbox. Go to this link --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q0vn772b4g0xcx/Firefox.zip?dl=0

(Click "No, thanks. Continue to view" at the bottom of the create account window, to download it without logging or creating or downloading Dropbox )

That means it is indeed security settings and not Safari issue. Now lets set those settings (Privacy and Security > Anywhere) via Terminal.

Open Terminal from Applications folder. Then type the following and press return

sudo spctl --master-disable

Press return and enter admin password (you may not see password, but just enter it and press return)

This will allow you to open apps downloaded from Safari. Let me know

I do not see it in my applications folder

Sorry, it is in Applications > Utilities folder. Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities folder. Then type the following and press return

sudo spctl --master-disable

Then go to Apple > System Preferences > Security and Privacy. Under Genreal, set Anywhere there after unlocking.

it gave me command not found after I entered password ***** I assume that it is my password ***** this iMac.

Make sure you entered the commands correctly. Try again please

Yes, the password ***** ***** admin/login password ***** this Mac

But I was able to proceed and install Firefox from the link

Yes, we disabled gatekeeper. Set Anywhere there and now enable the gatekeeper back.

Open Terminal and run this command

sudo spctl --master-enable

You should now will be able to install the downloads

Is Anywhere a setting that I should have seen from the begining?

No, as Apple disabled it in Sierra. It was available till El Capitan (10.11 version)

I was able to install Dropbox and will go ahead with others. Will it revert after I shut down?
What was Apple thinking?

No, but I want you to enable Gatekeeper back (make sure you leave the "Anywhere" turned on and not change it to other options)

To enable Gatekeeper back, follow the steps below

Open Terminal and run this command

sudo spctl --master-enable

Skype install went smoothly as well

Open Terminal and run this command

sudo spctl --master-enable

Apple is always happy to take useful features away :)

OK done but I did not try to adjust the Apple preferences. I will try to download and install something else - like Chrome

Ok

Looks like it is back blocking
Do I have to disable again to complete third party installs???
I disabled using the terminal command and again the install worked.
Where do I go from here? Run terminal disable whenever I run into this in the future and then enable when finished? What is broken on my OS?

Sorry for the delay. Then you need to disable it to install third party apps

Sorry for the delay. Then you need to leave that option disabled using terminal. So you can install the downloads you do. Just make sure what you install and you will be fine

Sorry for the delay. Then you need to leave that option disabled using terminal. So you can install the downloads you do. Just don't install unwanted apps or downloads from unknowns sources and you will be fine

OK - I have captured the command and relevant conversation. Thanks for the help Ashik

You're most welcome !

Will you take care of cancelling the charge since we did not need the connect?
Otherwise I will need to dispute the charge and Amex will block any future attempts to charge.

Sorry, I don't have access to your account or financial info to process the refund myself. Please contact or email the customer support at *****@******.*** for the refund of $39. They will do the refund for you.

Best Regards,

Will do - thanks again.

No problem

Ok done - we will see if the refund is processed as quickly as the charge. This is a quality of service measurement.
Thanks again.

Sorry, that is a part that I don't have any control. They usually try to do it quickly and sometimes it may take up to 3 days to credit back to your account once it is processed

Done - not bad. Have a good night / or day.

You too !

Ashik, Mac Technician