Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a macbook pro that is 10 years old. can I use

Customer Question
I have a macbook...

I have a macbook pro that is 10 years old. can I use mackeeper to clean it up so that it will run faster. I was afraid it was a scam so I wanted to ask first.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?

My MacBook pro is 10 years old. OSx

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I was a fraud to try any because if I hit something and it was a scam, i was afraid of a virus

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, it seems to divert my requests. For instance when I wanted to print something another site (recipes) opened. I seem to have cleared that at Best Buy however, I need an apple expert to really know what is going on.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
9/20/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 11 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, don't install or use MacKeeper or other cleaning programs like CleanMyMac etc. It is a malware. To make it faster, you can try the following troubleshooting steps

First we can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using 10.11 El Capitan or later, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

(If you are using older version of OS X, then let me know)

Then shutdown from Apple menu. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Then restart normally.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.