Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I had a alert on my computer saying that a back door virus…

Customer Question
I had a alert...

I had a alert on my computer saying that a back door virus was inserted into my computer and that I should call(###) ###-#### I person who had an Indian dialect answered and said they worked with Apple and that I should follow their direction to get rid of the virus. I found it strange and hung up. What is this about?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

Mac Book Pro

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not sure

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Is the number that I called associated with Apple?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/20/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 9 months ago
Josh, Mac Support

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Unfortunately, that is a scam popup message that provides you with a fake message. The number that you are calling is not associated with Apple and they will pretend that your computer has a virus then fix it for a large cost. Usually, this message is cleared by restarting your computer and you can ignore the number. Please restart your computer and if it continues after the restart, I can help you clear the message but you do not have a virus.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.