Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Cannot get past login screen. Have tried to get to recovery…

Cannot get past login...

Cannot get past login screen. Have tried to get to recovery but don’t get Disc utilities, then tried PRAM and NVRAM get to end of grey bar and stops. Not sure what to try next

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?

No

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

Macbook pro. Yosemite

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Year and half ago. I was trying to reset my F12 key to control volume. See above for what I’ve tried so far

9/19/2017
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

So you tried changing some operating system files, and now it will not get past the loading bar, am I right about that?

Have you tried Safe Boot?

David, Mac Support Specialist
Tried safe boot and it hangs up in the same place.
what can we try?

Can you provide me with your telephone number I can call you for remote tech support?

I will check in later. Something else has come up. Thank you

No problem, let me know your phone number and when I can call you and I can go through the troubleshooting with you.

We will try the SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

And to reinstall the OS using Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Let me know when you are ready, thank you.