Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

MacBook Pro was sluggish, then screen went to my fingerprint

and the rolling beach ball...
MacBook Pro was sluggish, then screen went to my fingerprint and the rolling beach ball. Is now unresponsive. Option command escape does nothing.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook?
Customer: Can't access the info but it's 10.6 something. I think.
JA: When did you purchase your MacBook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've had it for about two years. Tried control option escape and tried closing the screen. Nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
9/19/2017
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

how do you suggest I power off. The machine is completely unresponsive.
the $30 deposit was used in the initial response? No thanks.

You can hold the power button for 60 seconds which will force it to go off.

Let me know howw you go please

Seems fine right now. Thanks.

Perfect

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Richard, Apple Software Engineer