Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a large Word document open, which has many edits I'm

I have a large Word...
I have a large Word document open, which has many edits I'm reviewing. The spinning wheel keeps shutting me down.
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: Macbook pro 15 with OS Sierra 10.12.6
JA: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: July 2016. I've tried deleting unedited text in the document. I've also gone into utilities to do management I found in You Tube
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hmm. Is this a paid service? I feel like I'm being suckered into a "deal"
9/19/2017
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

Yes this ia a paid service, but no one is suckering you into anything... it is a paid technical support desk just like any support desk.

Is the issue only happening with this one document?

Hi Richard,
Sorry for the tone! I keep a busy schedule and do pay many folks for their help. I'm grateful for your quick response and hope we can get this resolved. Yes, it does happen only with this one document. I'm wondering if it's just a corrupted file.

It can be, I would like you to do the following please

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

I did this yesterday. I'm really thinking this is a corrupt file. It's a book I'm writing, which has been edited by a proofreader, an old high school friend whom I trust. In reviewing his edits, I can accept the first 8-9 pages no problem. But the file locks up at the exact same point, every time. I have reloaded the file from the original email from him to me. BBOD, page 9, every time.

ok, what about if you make a copy, then on the copy accept all.

Does it lock up?

I'll run your directions now. I didn't shut down my computer yesterday.

ok, best to do it the way I gave as then nothing is locked.

In an effort to save the original, I copied it.
Be back in a few.

thanks

Hmm. Looks like my "McIntosh HD" is full
Disk Utility runs for bootcamp, but Mac may be too big, and First Aid was gray when I clicked on it..

ok, this can be ausing your problem, can you free up some space on the hard drive and see how it then goes please?

I deleted several years of photos which I have on another drive.

ok, but still it says it is full?

Ha ha. The file locks up at the same place. I did an info check in finder for for what's in icloud. It's 54 GB. Let me explore checking my hard disc.
Used is now at 66.19GB, Purgable is at 68.89, and Free is 50.92GB

Even when you accepted all changes at once?

Can you attach the file to this question so I can check it?

It's rather personal, and difficult to cut up with the editing in tack.

ok no problem, but did it lock up when you accepted all changes at once?

If so, try to delete the content on page 9 then try to accept them

Does that work?

I missed your cue to accept all changes at once. Let me try that.

thanks

It allowed me to accept all changes.
Maybe we've made the progress I need at this point. I'm feeling guilty about wasting you time! I'm pretty good with MS apps (except Project Manager), but haven't spent much time with the edit feature.
This may have been a good lesson from me!

Perfect it looks like there was corruption but on that individual change, doing all at once reset the main flag rather then each one.

Glad it is now fixed, If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Thank you, Richard. 5 Star in my book!
Take care.
Richard, Apple Software Engineer