Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I am getting a finder quit unexpectantly message and cant…

Customer Question
Good evening. I...

Good evening. I am getting a finder quit unexpectantly message and cant access files

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

Its a Mac mini

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Mac mini? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Im checking the os now

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I cant open any files so I only reboot dont have disk

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Could you please tell me exactly what the error message says, word for word?

Finder quit unexpectantly
Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple

Thank you. Please try the following steps:

• Restart your Macbook.
  • Now open Disk Utility which is in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.
  • Select the disk on the left side.
  • Select the tab “First Aid”
  • Select the option “Repair disk permissions”.
  • Restart your Macbook once that is done.
  • See if you can use your Macbook normally.
Its a Macmini

Sorry, just do the same but replace with Macmini, not Mabook.

But I an umable to open any files because of the error. Is there another way

Even immediately after you restart you are not able to open anything?

Please press Command + Space together. This should bring up the Spotlight search. When the search box opens, type Disk Utility and click the Disk Utility app to open it.

Ok Im trying that
Just a little more info - mac had started acting really laggy about 2 weeks ago

Okay, it could be something going on with the hard drive. Were you able to open Disk Utility?

No becuase the comand/spacebar function did not work. This happened during an update that was interrupted during a power outage.

Oh, okay, that tells me a lot more. There are system files missing. You will need to get a Mac OS disc to reinstall the operating system. This is the only way to fix such a problem. If you don't want to buy a disk, they should be able to do it for free at the Apple Store.

Do you know where the closest Apple store to you is?