Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Kittens walked on keyboard of macbook pro and it froze along…

Customer Question
Kittens walked on keyboard...

Kittens walked on keyboard of macbook pro and it froze along with the mouse input

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Macbook?

The os it came with

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Some kind of restart that they said to do on the internet it worked for 2 min after that and then stopped

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Ipurchased the macbook about 1 year ago

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
9/18/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 11 months ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

Can you please hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then power it on and tell me if it now functions correctly.

Thank you

No it doesn't.

Did it turn off at all?

The device is frozen. I am typing from another device.
I used a different keyboard/mouse on this device and it worked.
But now i have disconnected it.
it did turn off.

Ok

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then let it start and tell me if it then works please

There is no way to shut it down with this keyboard without holding the power button.
Are you saying I should plug in a different keyboard to follow your instructions?

No, you use the power button on the mac, you hold that in till it shuts down, like before

Did it. The startup sound came and screen was dark then I held down the command option PR keys (4 keys) all down
together -- the apple sign in white came and then the login screen came up but startup sound did not come a second time.
The problem is still there.
I will try one more time.

ok, let me know the results please

This time I did Option Command Shift P R (5 keys) immediately after startup sound.
Apple sign came up with the "loading" bar, half way through which the normal login screen came up
and problem still unresolved.

ok, you said "it" froze, what exactly is it? you mean the keyboard?

the key board and mouse neither one work. The mouse arrow on the screen cannot be moved.

can you power it off please.

Then holdd SHIFT and with it held, power it on and keep shift held until you are at the sign in screen.

Tell me if it then works please.

Just tried that. It didn't cause any change. Problem is still there.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Is that Command Shift R, or just Command R?

Just conmand and R

34;you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window"This never happens

ok, then it is not even responding on the Bios.

The keyboard controller (which also controls the trackpad) as shorted out.

We have ruled out all software causes for this, it is the only issue that is remaining.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the macbook to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you