Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a OS 10.11.2 and bought a printer that doesn't

Customer Question
HI, I have...

HI, I have a OS 10.11.2 and bought a printer that doesn't recognize that system is there a way around it?

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

El Capitan

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, today

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Nothing yet as I really don't know what I'm doing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The printer I am installing is a XP-830 Epson printer

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
9/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

I will need a bit more information first.

What is the make and model of the printer?

Which type of Mac is it? MacBook, iMac?

Please click the Apple menu in the top left and click 'About This Mac'.

What does it say for Processor?

Thanks in advance.

It's an OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6
Processor 2.5 GHz intelcore i5
The printer is a epson XP-830

Thanks you, please bear with me while I research the latest OS you can have and the printer driver compatibility.

Sorry, I also need to know the type of Mac. Is it an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro for example?

MacBook Pro

Ok, thanks. Bear with me, checking OS information for this Mac.

This looks like the MacBook Pro Late 2012, and as such should run the latest available version of macOS.

Please begin by upgrading the operating system. Click the Apple in the top left corner and click Software Update.

Install any software updates it finds. Then check About This Mac, it should say 10.12.6 when it is finished updating.

Meanwhile I will research the latest drivers for the Epson XP-830 for macOS Sierra 10.12

Thank you for your patience.

Ok. Once you have upgrade macOS here is the link to the drivers that will get your printer working with your MacBook Pro:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-830/s/SPT_C11CE78201

You should download and install the Utilities and Drivers combo, to get the Epson software that goes with the printer.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am here to answer them.

PS Please take a moment to click the star rating to rate my help. Many thanks in advance!

If this MacBook Pro processor is a 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and it does not find any upgrade to the OS in Software Update, here is the link to the El Capitan Drivers:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/XP-Series/Epson-XP-830/s/SPT_C11CE78201?review-filter=Mac+OS+X+10.11.x

However you said it was an i5, so I think it is the MacBook Pro Late 2012.

Let me know how it goes.

I wonder how that went, if you have any questions please let me know.

PD Please take a moment to click the star rating, I greatly appreciate it!