Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My computer will not stop typing the number 9. I have a MAC…

Customer Question
My computer will not...

My computer will not stop typing the number 9.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

I have a MAC OS X El Capitan. I running Microsoft Office

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I real9ly don't know what it would be

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/17/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Does this happen constantly or randomly?

Is it in all applications?

What kind of computer is it, and what kind of keyboard?

I have a MAC.. what do you mean by What kind of a keyboard?

What kind of Mac. Is it an iMac for example.

The keyboard could be wired or wireless, Apple or some other brand.

Please click the Apple menu in the top left and click About This Mac, what does it say for Processor?

an iMac Wired keyboard.. Apple The processor -- 3.06 GHz Intel core 2 duo

Ok thanks. About the keyboard, was there anything spilled on it, was there anything dropped on it, or was there any damage of any kind?

Are you typing on that keyboard now?

If not, how often does it type the number 9?

Nothing has spilled on or has damaged the keyboard. I am typ9in9g on it on. the number 9 somes up often and sometimes tries to cover the page

The most likely cause is the keyboard is faulty, but there are some things you can try.

You can try the PRAM reset first of all.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately hold down these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R.

Keep holding the keys for about 20 seconds, your Mac plays a startup sound when you turn it on, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.

If you do not hear two startup sounds and it starts up, it has not worked, please shut it down and try again. When you hear the startup sound twice at startup it has worked. Test the issue with the 9 key.

Also have a look at the 9 key on the keyboard. Check if there is any difference in the way it presses. Check if it feels mechanically different in any way. Look for any debris stuck underneath or around it.

Let me know how it goes.

I did wh9at yo99u told9999999999999999999999999999999999999 me9 t9o d9o9 99and9 t9he9 999#9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Please disconnect the keyboard and any other USB devices.

Also disconnect any USB from the keyboard if it has any.

Connect just the mouse, nothing else.

Restart the Mac.

When it has restarted, connect the keyboard again. Connect it directly not through any hub or anything.

Let me know how it goes.

It still typi9ng the 99s9

Then I'm afraid you will need to try a new keyboard as this one is faulty.

It doesn't need to be a Mac keyboard if you can get any other keyboard to try.

Than9ks

You're welcome, I'm sorry it's not better news.

David, Mac Support Specialist