David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I was updating OS and power went out. Now I get "finder

I was updating OS and power went out. Now I get "finder unexpectedly quit" and I can't get past that.
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: IMac I'm not sure the OS. But pretty current.
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: On and off. 3 years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I try to open finder and it says unavailable

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

First thing you can try is Safe Boot. It will try to start the Mac with minimum startup options and also repair the disk in the background as it starts.

To start in Safe Boot:

1. Restart the Macintosh. Press and hold the Shift key immediately after you hear the startup tone.
  2. Release the Shift key when the Apple logo appears. Safe Boot appears on the Mac OS X startup screen.

It will take a while to start up because it is repairing the disk in the background, and it will not have an Internet connection.

You will however know if the Finder works, which is why I'm asking you to start in Safe Mode.

If it starts in Safe Mode, go to the Apple menu and click to Restart.

If it doesn't start in Safe Mode, please get back to me with any extra details of what happened.

Many thanks, ***** ***** free to ask any questions you have.

Please provide your telephone number so I can call you to go through the steps, thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Calling now, thank you.