Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

My mac is not recognizing my password and my apple id

hi, my mac is not recognizing my password ***** my apple id password ***** i try to reset it it's an old mac
JA: When did you last reset your Apple ID or password?
Customer: several months ago
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: mountain lion ox 10.7.5
JA: When did you purchase your Apple device? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: mac air
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: around 2010

Hi there and welcome

Are you able to sign in with your Apple ID on my link below?

www.icloud.com

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Anything else?

Ok, then the password ***** ***** so it is the local password ***** is the issue

you will have to reset the password

To do this

Power off the Mac

Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).

This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed

When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.

In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.

resetpassword

A new window will open, like this:

http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpg

Click on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.

When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
works, thanks.

You are welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you