Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a used macbook pro. tonight i was about to use it and…

Customer Question
Hello i have a...

Hello i have a used macbook pro . tonight i was about to use it and suddenly all i see now is Mac Pro and enter password.. I don't know what the password ***** because this is used mac...How can i get the settings back on

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?

I'm on yosemite os x 10.10 i believe

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes .I'm a dj and i used a software called sera to because they had a update oops serato

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I tried to turn it off and then press command and then r

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

No i just want to get the mac running because i have a gig tomorrow

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
9/14/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

A couple things don't make since. If this is a used mac, do you mean your borrowing it from a friend or did you purchase it from a store used? Part of your question sounds like you have not used it before but then part of it does because it sounds like you have installed a specific app before.

If you have used this computer before and the same account that its asking the password ***** and there happened to be no password ***** leave the password ***** and hit enter or click the arrow in the password ***** If not so lucky see below.

It depends on your situation. If it is locked with a user account password ***** its ok to delete files. You can try the following:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "Disk Utility"
  5. On the left side menu, click/choose your primary hard drive which is by default called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then on the right side menu, choose "erase"

Then return back to the main MAC OS utilities (recovery) main menu by closing out of disk utility after the erase and do the following:

1. Restart your mac
  4. choose "reinstall OS"
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

Then see if the password ***** *****

However, if this is the firmware password ***** a big lock on the screen then there is only one thing to try without the admin password ***** the mac. See pic attached for lock screenshot

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions that I previously posted? Please let me know if I can further assist at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time.