Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just bought a new MAC book pro and transferred all our

Customer Question
programs onto new one.. the...
I just bought a new MAC book pro and transferred all our programs onto new one.. the word program will let us see all our files but we can't open any of them need to know how to get in
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: the old computer was 11 years old sierra is the program were using
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes I just bought the new computer today and the pulled everything I had and installed it on new one.. everything is there but for the Word program we can see our files but we had to no key number or something else to get into open files
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
9/14/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

It sounds like Office for mac is not currently installed on your new mac which is why the files do not open because the mac doesn't understand those files with out it.

1. Are the word file icons just look like blank paper icons instead of the familiar word icons?
  2. Therefore, what version of Office do you have or did you have on the old mac? Office for mac 2011, 2016 or Office 365?
  3. Also, do you have an install disk or did you download office from the internet through the Microsoft office website?
  4. How did you transfer all your programs from your old mac to your new mac? Did you manually save them to an external hard drive and then copied them to your new mac or did you use the mac's built in migration assistant or time machine backup?

Depending on these answers can then help us in which direction we can go. Let me know as soon as you can.

If for some reason you have to old of an office version to run on your new mac or you don't want to deal with finding out all the info I was asking you especially if you can't find your product key or remember if you downloaded office from the internet or not, you can always create a google account and use google drive for now.

You would go to https://www.google.com/drive/ and click the go to google drive and then sign in with your google account if you have one already if not no worries you can create one @ https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en

Then you ca go to drive.google.com and sign in with your google account. Google drive opens and you can do the following:

1. Click the new button at the top
  2. choose file upload
  3. when the browse window opens, navigate to where your word files are and you can click the file and choose open. If you have multiple word files, hold down shift and select all your files, then choose open.

This will import your files into google drive.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions that I previously posted? Please let me know if I can further assist at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time.

Mike, Mac Medic