Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Excel for Mac. The tabs at the bottom of the page have

disappeared. Tried changing preferences as...
Excel for Mac. The tabs at the bottom of the page have disappeared. Tried changing preferences as suggested and no change.Thanks.
9/12/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Close Excel. Then hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the file 'com.microsoft.Excel.plist'. Then open Excel. That should bring it back.

If that didn't work, then close it. Hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and this time, trash the Microsoft folder.

Go back, then open Application Support folder and trash Microsoft folder. If you don't see the folders there, then open Containers folder in library and trash Com.microsoft.excel

Try Excel. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

still same. Had to rebuild database. No difference in view.

Did you do all the steps ?

exactly

Close Excel. Then hold down Shift key and open Excel. Does it show now ?

What exact tabs disappeared ?

And do you have this issue with all spreadsheets ?

The issue can's see worksheet tabs on bottom or resize length.

Do you have this issue with all spreadsheets ?

no just existing spreadsheets. If I create new spreadsheet, no issue

That means Excel preferences are working. Do you have this issue with all your existing spreadsheets or with any particular ones ?

Microsoft needed new update since maybe trashed some recent stuff from following earlier instructions

What version of Office is this ?

2011

The files we trashed are just preferences files and they will be recreated the moment to open Excel back. That wouldn't delete core files or your documents

Click on Help menu and select Check for Updates. Do all updates.

Do you have this issue with all your existing spreadsheets or with any particular ones ?

existing spreadsheets.

Click on View menu and is the Split option turned on ?

did see split screen
don't see split screen
Split screen is in Windows menu. This is a mac

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on this one. I will opt out and open this question to other experts. If they have any idea, they will get back to you. If no one get back to you, then you can contact the customer support at***@******.*** and they will do full refund.

Please don't rate the answer anything, so another expert can get to you or process refund. I'm sorry, I couldn't solve your problem

ok. Thanks.
Seems like this would be a common issue for mac users.
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
I have come across this issue too. One workaround is to choose Window , then Arrange and choose Tile and this seems to constrain the window to the screen and give you access to the worksheet tabs at the bottom. (Obviously if you have more than one excel window open - it will tile your windows - but this fix has so far worked for me.) You also don't have to keep resizing the window everytime you click on a different tab.
Office for Mac 2011 had plenty of bugs in it which the best thing to do even though not the cheapest would be to upgrade your version of office.
That worked. Awesome.Thanks. Brian
Sweet! Please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name. I would really appreciate it and it helps to let others know I am here to help.Thanks and take care.
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast