Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Macbook Pro, late 2012 I believe, running 10.6.8.

Customer Question
Hello, I'm Jim. I...
Hello, I'm Jim. I have a Macbook Pro, late 2012 I believe, running 10.6.8. It is booting to blue screen after the typical gong sound and white screen with the Apple logo. It has done this 3 times in a row, each time I have left it for an extended period of time (hours) and it has eventually started up. Prior to this behavior, it was going to black screen intermittently seemingly related to stop/starting video. I would have to hold down the power button to shut it off, wait, then power back on. Now the blue screen on startup. Any thoughts?
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Macbook?
Customer: 10.6.8
JA: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a late 2012, I believe. I bought it used in 2013 I think. I have not done any troubleshooting.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mac
9/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the hard drive is failing or the system files are corrupted. First, let's run Disk Utility from Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run/sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return. When it restart, immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds and does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, I looks like this will take more time than I have while at work. I should have waited til this evening. Can I pause this session until 9pm PST? Sorry to have started this at the wrong time.
-Jim
Although I would love for you to securely connect, the public wifi here is awful - constantly dropping the connection. Could I reconnect with you tomorrow morning before work (I leave for work at 7:15am PST), have you connect with computer at home and I could take off while you work your magic?

Yes, we can continue later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later

Will do. Thank you.

No problem

Ashik, Mac Technician